An outboard motor is a propulsion system for boats, consisting of a self-contained unit that includes engine, gearbox and propeller or jet drive. They are the most common motorized method of propelling small watercraft. As well as providing propulsion, outboards provide steering control, as they are designed to pivot over their mountings and thus control the direction of thrust.
Western Marine Center deals in different outboard brands such as Mercury, Suzuki & Yamaha.
At Western Marine Center, we sell both New Outboards and Used Outboards.
Outboards are a big investment and hence it is vital to understand some of the vital factors that must be considered while purchasing:
- Make is the brand of outboard purchased i.e. Mercury, Suzuki or Yamaha. The choice of make is more of a personal choice. In terms of quality and durability, all brands are equally good and well established. Hence there is not much to choose between them.
- At Western Marine Center, we sell both new and used outboards. The decision regarding purchasing new or used outboard depends on your boat usage and budget. You can consult our expert staff to make decision on what condition outboard would be suitable for you.
3. Engine Cycle
- Engine Cycle can be 2-stroke or 4-stroke. The choice depends on your usage. 4-stroke is an excellent option for users who will be running the boat for several hours. They consume less fuel, are less noisy, have cold start reliability and have very low vibration levels. However, 4-stroke engines are heavier in weight and are more expensive.
- 2-stroke engines are better when usage is low. They are lighter in weight and are less expensive than 4-stroke engines.
4. Fuel Delivery
- Fuel Delivery is a mechanism by which fuel is supplier to the engine. This mechanism is either Carburettor, Direct Injection or Multi-point Injection system.
- The carburettor contains jets that will push the gas into the combustion chambers. The amount of fuel that can flow through these jets depends completely on the amount of air that can be pulled into the carburetor venture. The main issue with obtaining the best performance using a carburetor is that it can’t monitor the air to fuel ratio for each individual cylinder.
- However, there are several advantages of using carburettor which include longer lifetime, easier installation, easier maintenance and cheaper than fuel injection systems.
- The main benefits to using direct injection system is that the amount of fuel and air can be perfectly released and then injected into the cylinder according to the engine load conditions. The electronics used in the system will calculate this information and constantly adjust. This type of controlled fuel injection results in a higher power output, greater fuel efficiency and much lower emissions.
- Multi-point Injection system goes a step further in that it has separate fuel injection system for each cylinder rather than common for all cylinders. This greatly improves efficiency of the engine.
5. Horse Power
- Horse Power is the rate at which work is done. The electrical equivalent of one horsepower is 746 watts in the International System of Units (SI). Needless to say that greater the horsepower of the engine, greater will be its power. Higher horse power boat engines are ideal for speed boats.
Above 5 are the major deciding factors for purchasing any outboard. There are also some other factors such as number of cylinders, gear ratio, engine weight, engine size etc. that may contribute to outboard selection. You may fill in this extra information in the “Additional Information” section of our Request A Quote Form for outboards. Please click below button to request a quote for outboards: